Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Life in Numbers

Our first week of school was spend doing baseline assessments for our students. Unfortunately that leaves very little time for actual instruction, although our district's curriculum map calls for us to begin math and science on the first day.

...alas...

I was trying to think of a way to review/teach place value to our students during this weird time (lots of testing, early lunch brunch, and learning classroom rules and procedures. And in all that thinking, I created a prototype for this!



This 12 page booklet (half pages) applies place value concepts to numbers in student's lives and makes this sterile subject more personal. I hope they would be as excited as I was about this project, and they were! :) ::nerd flag::



Students used the number of letters in their names, their birth year, the population of their city, etc. to demonstrate their knowledge of place value and representing multidigit numbers many ways.

I'm very pleased with the way this product came out! And it fits perfectly in their math notebooks! :)



I love being able to help my kiddos make deep connections to learning!

My hurricane day/weekend has come to an end. I hope everyone has a wonderful, productive week at school!

-Martha

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I love your PV book. I am so excited to find your blog. I am a 3rd grade teacher as well and I joined your blog immediately! I would love for you to visit my blog when you get a chance!
    Patti:)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete